Monday 12 September 2011

Good News - and some more old video...

Looks like the master document has printed ok and I should receive the final proof copy in a couple of days. If it's ok, I'll put another through to do a last check - then hopefully we will go on 27th September...

In the meantime - here's a couple of film extracts from 1969. No sound, unfortunately. The first is from the Albert Hall Buskers' Concert rehearsal at Max Rivers rehearsal rooms off Charing Cross Road, here...
I think this was taken from the documentary that was filmed about the event and subsequently disappeared down the years.  You can see me on the beginning, on the right, playing with my compadre Aidan Agnew (he's on banjo).
The second clip, here, is from the British Pathe News archive, shot at the concert and on the street.  The tall guy standing on the neck of the escapologist Johnny Eagles is Pat Keene - co-author of the book.  He was there as a photographer rather than a musician that night - and his photos are the only record of this unique event apart from these scraps of footage and the lost movie.  It then cuts, rather oddly, to footage shot in Leicester Square - the first busker is the American, Dave Parker, also known as Dyon Parker and Dave Helling.  Then me, resplendent in side burns...  Playing to the queues on the Warner cinema, synchonistically - my surname, but no relation...
Finding these two clips when I was researching the book and looking at my younger self, over forty years ago, was a strange experience...



3 comments:

  1. Hello I've got the nice Dyon Parker album and the Stateside single as Dave Helling. Had he recordings also as Dave Parker? I know there is a David Parker album on Polydor... http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=220219742885
    could be the same guy? Many Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave was a weird character, it has to be said... He had three names to my knowledge - Dyon Parker, Dave Helling and Dave Parker - switching between family surnames I think, apart from his first name. I had a look at the link - Dave did do a couple of albums after the first under Dyon P - I was at a couple of the sessions in fact. Shel Talmy was involved I think - but it's a long time ago. Checking the sleeve for that album under David Parker - if the figure on the front is supposed to be him - it ain't! Tracklist - again, can't remember, nothing seems familiar but the date is about right, annoyingly. Annoying - I must go and see if I can check it out. Dave died a couple of years back and recently there seems to be some interest in his very obscure albums. Which would have amused the garrulous old fucker... WIll get back more info if I can find it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... been looking at that album cover and it does seem familiar. Trying to remember the songs - 'If I ever' seems familiar. This is annoying!

    ReplyDelete